Monday, May 21, 2012

The Calling by Kelley Armstrong

The Calling by Kelley Armstrong

Published 2012, library copy, hardcover.  

Summary from Goodreads:

Maya and her friends--all of whom have supernatural powers--have been kidnapped after fleeing from a forest fire they suspect was deliberately set, and after a terrifying helicopter crash they find themselves pursued by evildoers in the Vancouver Island wilderness.

This is a sequel to The Gathering, during which Maya finds out about her skin-walking abilities (aka she can change into a cougar) and uncovers a few mysteries about her small town of St. Cloud.

What's neat is this is part of the Darkest Powers series, so there's lot of experimentation with paranormal genetics and kids. And I think we'll see Chloe and Derek and his friends in the next book!

I really like Maya and her friends. Daniel is definitely awesome. This is one of the only times I could see a love triangle and approve of it. He's so nice and supportive and funny. But I love their friendship, too.

What I've noticed about some of her books, especially the second book in a series (The Calling and The Awakening), not that much happens plot-wise. They walk and run and try to escape and find a cabin and talk a lot. But it's still interesting to me, it's stuff I like reading. She's always revealing things and developing the characters. I read it in two sittings and I liked it.

I'm excited for the next one, when the two groups will meet each other and hopefully come out with the upper hand. And they probably will. I mean, we've got a necromancer, a werewolf, a witch, a sorcerer, a couple were-cougars, and whatever Daniel is (bendanati or something, I don't know). I wonder if Cody has anything going for him. Oh, and I love this cover, the girl is gorgeous!

Check it out if you like her stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment