Monday, February 7, 2011

The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary Pearson

The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary Pearson

Hardback, 2008, 266 pages. Library copy.

This is another book I found because of my library's recommendations. It's about seventeen-year-old Jenna Fox, who wakes up from a year and a half long coma. She has no memories, and she slowly comes to learn that she's different. It's a poetic story about memory, science and ethics, forgiveness, and the choices people make for their loved ones.

I enjoyed this; it was a quick read that was thought-provoking. I only give it three out of five stars because it didn't really "wow" me. I liked the characters. Jenna had a quick wit and her development in the end felt satisfying. I was hoping for a little more insight on Dane. I think Mary Pearson balanced faith and science and love in an interesting way when writing this story.

It reminded me a lot of Finding Fiona, the novella I recently finished. She also lost her memory and comes to realize that there are strange scientific circumstances surrounding what happened to her. It's interesting to read similar plots and see how different authors can take it in a different direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment