Sunday, October 23, 2011

Wither by Lauren DeStefano

Wither by Lauren DeStefano


Published 2011, 358 pages, Library copy. 


From Goodreads:
Obviously, something went terribly wrong. Genetic mutations have festered, reducing human longevity to twenty-five, even less for most women. To prevent extinction, young girls are kidnapped, mated in polygamous marriages with men eager to procreate. Sixteen-year-old Rhine Ellery, a recent victim of this breeding farm mentality, has vowed to break loose from its fetters; but finding allies and a safe way out is a challenge she can only hope she will survive. A dystopian fantasy series starter with wings.

Wow! The poetic prose is beautiful and reminded me of Lauren Oliver. Lauren DeStefano creates a creepy, beautiful world. She immediately pulled me into Rhine's struggle. Her memories. Her nightmares. This place where she's trapped is haunting. Her world is dying, and the author never lets you forget it.

I liked how her relationship with her sister wives develops. Things take a while, but I think that's realistic. It's not like things would click into place all at once. By the end, I really liked both Cecily and Jenna, and I wanted happier endings for them. I know we might see one in future books, perhaps with a happier fate.

I also liked her relationship with the boys, Gabriel and Linden. Both of them were really likable, and I found myself even rooting for her and Linden, even though it was obvious it wouldn't work out. I liked that Rhine never strayed form her mission. She never loses her determination, even when she gets caught up in the world of the mansion.

This story was half in the past, half in the present, and I liked that. Since Rhine doesn't have much of a future and since she's in captivity, it's realistic that she would think of her family and what she was torn from. I just loved the author's way of writing, and I loved getting lost in that world. I read this book over the weekend while I was sick, and it was a perfect way for me to forget my sinus headache.

There two big things keeping me from giving this 5 stars instead of 4. I'll link you to Goodreads review since they have that neat spoiler thing: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/220400758

Other than those two things, I loved this book. Can't wait for the sequel!

No comments:

Post a Comment