Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

There are so many versions of this book, and I'm too lazy to go find my copy. Pictured copy is not the one I read. It was a paperback version with a cheesy cover, about 300 pages. I bought it at the library for $1. Well, technically 50 cents because it was buy one get one free, and I also got The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells.

I read the Lord of the Rings trilogy about a year ago, so it's kind of fitting that I read The Hobbit this time of the year. They're good books to curl up with and lose yourself in another world. They're classics for a reason!

I was reading some of the Goodreads reviews, and I think it's sad when people give this book a modern standard. Literature written a hundred years ago follows much different rules than literature written today. This wasn't written a hundred years ago, but you get my point. Much different conventions. I read modern novels and classic/older novels expecting completely different things.

J.R.R. Tolkien's writing, especially in this book, reminded me of C.S. Lewis, and I just love the nostalgic feeling of their novels. When everything is so matter-of-fact and they write things like, "Well, you know how trolls can be." I'd really like to read The Silmarillion, but from what I understand, it's not one story, but kind of a history of Middle Earth? Don't know, I guess I'll see when I pick it up.

Some things I could learn from this book.

Setting. Tolkien really knows the geography of Middle Earth. He has the maps in the beginning of the books. Each land has its own history, its own culture. He definitely knew the setting in great detail. A lot of times, I draw a map kind of as an afterthought, because I have to to make the story make sense. But he was so detailed. It's very admirable and definitely sometime I could learn from.

I'm excited for this movie. Peter Jackson is great.

Chris's boss recently got an iPad, and he gave us his Kindle for free!! Needless to say, I've already downloaded about a dozen out-of-copyright works. Time to catch up on some classics! I'm reading The Secret Garden right now. It is such a neat little gadget. I will always love the feel and smell of a book, but I read in bed a lot, and my wrists get tired easily. The Kindle is really good for that. Plus it was FREE!

No comments:

Post a Comment