Sunday, March 18, 2012

Books This Far into 2012

Okay, I haven't been very good about posting book reviews this year. I've been reading like a madwoman, but for some reason the thought of sitting down and writing a long review is tiring! So I thought I'd sum up pretty quickly what I've read so far this year.

Favorites
My favorites so far have been:

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss: Very creative fantasy debut. I haven't yet been able to get into the sequel, and that thing is huge so I didn't have a chance to finish before returning it to the library. This reminds me that I need to see if it's in paperback yet. . .

Hallowed by Cynthia Hand: GREAT sequel to Unearthly! I was up all one night reading it. I cannot wait for the third one, but I'm going to be really sad because I don't want this series to end.

Intangible by J. Meyers: A self-published urban fantasy, also by a debut author. It sucked me in. I loved the characters, loved the storyline. It was like Cassandra Claire without the caricatures that remind me too much of her fanfiction. Love, love, loved it!


Blood Will Tell
by Samantha Young: The beginning of the Warriors of Ankh story. A dark fantasy for upper-YA. Strong female protagonist, unique fantasy world building. I'm off to buy the third book in the series right now! (the second is Blood Past, the third Shades of Blood)


Out of the Norm
Genres or formats I don't typically read

On the Island by Tracey Garvis Graves: This is a mainstream novel with strong hints of romance. I really liked the characters and seeing how they survived in what seemed like impossible situations. 


Numbers by Rachel Ward: I listened to this as an audio book, and the voice actress (is that was you call her?) was awesome. It was a really neat concept. I might read the second one, but I think it's a different main character, so we'll see.

Untraceable by SR Johannes: A thriller/adventure novel that reminded of The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins or The Calling by Kelley Armstrong sans scifi or fantasy. Great mix of action, mystery, and romance. 

Dystopian/Post-Apocalyptic
Increasingly becoming one of my favorite genres!

The Maze Runner by James Dashner: Wow, this guy can tell a story that puts you on the edge of your seat! About halfway through, I was tired of all the questions and little answers. Looks like the next book will be like that, too, but he's a great storyteller. 

Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien: Beautiful prose, great characters, romance that developed over time, a great weaving of flashback and present day -- just a great book all around! Loved Gaia and Leon and can't wait to read the next one. 

Across the Universe by Beth Revis: Not sure if this really fits here, but I wanted to mention it. Fascinating murder mystery mixed with science fiction and dystopian-like society on an isolated spaceship. The next one is out and begging for me to read it!

Currently Reading

The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa: Why isn't it as good as the first one? :( I think it's because I feel like this romance is being forced on me when I just don't feel it. Still, this writer really has amazing world building and detailed, beautiful settings.

Glimpse by Stacey Wallace Benefiel: Sadly another YA example of romance I feel jumps from "crush" to "twoo wuv" too quickly. But Zellie's voice is hilarious and I like reading about her and her life. 

To see all my reviews (lately they've only been a paragraph or so long), you can visit me on Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment