Saturday, June 30, 2012

Spark by Brigid Kemmerer

Spark by Brigid Kemmerer
ARC from Net Galley. Publication date: August 28th 2012.

Another addicting read from Brigid Kemmerer that adds to the nonstop action and romance of the Elementals. Compelling characters, an exciting plot, and intense romance. Yes, I loved this one just as much as the first! I was super lucky to get an ARC from the publisher -- thank you, Kensington!

So, Spark is a bit different from Storm, mostly because Gabriel and Layne are a lot different than Chris and Becca. But it's just as addicting!

The story was really neat. Fires are popping up all over town and Gabriel, being a Fire Elemental, is blamed for it when in actuality he's trying to help people escape. He's also trying to catch back up in math since his new substitute teacher caught on to him and Nick swapping places when a test came up. Tying it all together is girl in his class named Layne who is driving him crazy as he tries to figure her out. There is a lot of stuff going on, actually, but those are the big things.

I liked the chance we had to see into Gabriel's head. In Storm, he seems like kind of a hothead and in Spark, we see some of his motivation, some of what he's thinking and going through. I felt bad for him, but there were also times when I wanted to smack him upside the head. I think that's a sign of great characterization, when you can love and hate someone at the same time. Just like in real life.

Gabriel and Layne had really good chemistry. They were kind of all over the place, highs and lows, but their personalities made for a relationship like that. They're both kind of headstrong and stubborn and they were super cute together. I liked Layne and how she was different from Becca, being more reserved and having more secrets. I loved even the minor characters that Brigid Kemmerer introduces, especially Simon.

And the plot, like I said, was so addicting! Something new was always happening, whether it was something kind of character-driven like Gabriel and Layne getting to know each other, or something bigger and more intense, like another fire. I like how Kemmerer balances that all out, the characters and the action. She's one of my favorite new authors this year.

I'll be honest, I'm not that thrilled that the next book is about Hunter. I don't know, I can't get a read on that guy. I want to like him but he always seems to be looking out for himself. Maybe I'll like him more after Spirit. Which I still can't wait for, even if it is about Hunter.

No comments:

Post a Comment