Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Author Interview: Parrisha Martelly

I'm really enjoying these author interviews. I hope you're finding some awesome new books! This week, I'm interviewing Parrisha Martelly.

She's the author of:
Fox, a YA fantasy novel
Rider, a YA fantasy short story

I've been meaning to read Fox for quite some time. Beautiful cover and an intriguing beginning!

If you like what you see (who couldn't like that book cover?), you can visit her. . .

Let's here from Parrisha herself!

Fill in the blanks: [My book above] is like [book/movie/TV show] meets [a different book/movie/TV show].
"Fox" is like Lord of the Rings meets Harry Potter.

What's the first sentence of this book?
Though satisfaction would usually sear through him at finally finding his target, Levictious felt none.

Which book of yours was the hardest to write? Why?
"Fox" was the hardest to write. I really wanted to get to know the characters and write something I hoped people would enjoy, and I didn't want to rush it. It took a lot of editing and a lot of patience and time for it to become the novel it is today.

Which book of yours did you have the most fun writing? Why?
"Ryder", a young adult fantasy short, was actually my favorite to write. It was short and sweet, and something that I just had fun with. I enjoyed Ryder himself, and coming up with the different elements within the Labyrinth he ventures through was exciting!

What's your favorite part about the writing process?
There are quite a few! :) I really enjoy writing scenes, especially emotionally charged scenes. I really enjoy writing the endings because I get to see how so much has changed. I also like having Beta-readers read my work. I love getting people's thoughts and opinions.

How has your writing changed since you first started writing?
It's definitely improved, and I think the techniques I use to write have also improved. I know which common words to avoid, I know what strategy works best so that I can complete my novel in a timely manner (ex: I like to make sure I've written 1,000 words a day before I go to sleep or watch TV), and I know how to make more well rounded characters.

You're stranded on a deserted island, and you can only bring one person with you. It can be someone dead or alive, but it has to be a real person (no fictional characters!). Who is it and why?
Probably my brother, Jerry. I have a feeling that he'd have some brilliant plan to get us off the island. Plus, he's funny.

Through very strange circumstances, a mad scientist is exiling you to the world of one of your books. Which world do you choose and why?
Either Fox's world, or the world of the current book I'm working on. But that world is a surprise! :D

You get to go to Disneyworld with one of your characters. Who do you choose and why?
Falcon. He needs to loosen up a bit!

What's your favorite book, whether self-published or traditionally published?
This is a really difficult question. I love many books, so it's very hard to choose! I really enjoyed: The Hunger Games, The Giver, The Lord of the Flies, JR Ward's BDB series, Kresley Cole's IAD series, and Karen Moning's Highlander series.

Recommend a self-published book to the readers. Not your own ;)
"Blood of Requiem" by Daniel Arenson!

What do you want readers to come away with after reading your books?
I want them to have enjoyed themselves and I want them to feel as if they connected to the characters.

Thank you, Parrisha! I'm excited to see that new story of yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment