Friday, January 20, 2012

The Protectors: D for Debacle

D for Debacle
The prince doesn't think the Victory Day feast went well.

They stopped at an inn in Ridgefield that night, and the next morning, the carriages set off again. The prince and Grace talked about Victory Day and the dinner at the castle. 

Prince William shook his head. “I think it was quite a mess.”

“Really?” Grace tilted her head. 

“My father was drunk, my mother was exhausted, those knights were quite obnoxious, and everyone wanted the dinner to be over so they could see the fireworks.” He looked half-amused, half-annoyed.

“I had fun, for what it’s worth.”

“Of course you did, because you spent the night with me,” Prince William said, a smile spreading on his face.

Grace laughed. “Oh, I see. I should have known that’s what it was.” 

The prince shrugged, his smile turning into a grin. “I could tell the other girls were jealous.”

“Except for Lady Rebekah. She was a bit busy with Sir Leonard.”

Nodding, the prince raised his eyebrows. “Yes, well. . .”

“Don’t let that discourage you, though. Lady Rebekah just had the longest two weeks of her life.”

The prince’s smile faded. “You’ve been counting the days?” He met her eyes. 

~Promising Light, Book One of the series

No comments:

Post a Comment