Friday, January 13, 2012

The Awakening by Kelley Armstrong

The Awakening by Kelley Armstrong

Paperback, 360 pages, library edition. 

The Awakening picks up right where The Summoning left off. So, SPOILERS!

Chloe escaped from Lyle House, only to be recaptured again. Stuck in a strange place, she's left to find Simon and Derek by herself. She also needs to find out what the Lyle House was all about and what these people want from her.

I liked this book! Part of me realizes that not that much happened. Another part of me doesn't care so much because I was never bored. Isn't it weird how that happens? Okay, the entire book is about finding the boys and then traveling to Andrew's house, which all takes place over about a week, and yet I read the entire second half just tonight! I like reading about these characters and seeing how their relationships deepen and change. They're finding out more about each other and themselves.

And this may sound preachy, but among books like Twilight and Hush, Hush, this book is just refreshing. I know I don't really have any room to say that since I haven't even read any of those books all the way through. I've just skimmed them and heard horror stories of these ridiculous female protagonists and stalkerish, controlling male protagonists.

I'll admit that Derek has his flaws. He is a pretty big jerk in certain parts of this book, treating Chloe like a child. But he really seems to realize that he should be treating her differently. By the end, I honestly think he was. I never saw Chloe trying to justify his actions -- understand them, maybe, but there is actually a line that reads, "That didn't excuse his outbursts, but maybe it helped me understand him and not take it to personally when he lashed out at me." She still gets upset with him when he treats her like a dog, and he actually recognizes he was wrong.

I also like that Derek is not your movie star male protagonist looks-wise but he's still likable because he cares about Chloe and Simon. I'm glad my sister was so into this series. I'm glad there are young adult authors out there who are writing about characters and relationships like this in the paranormal genre which is overrun with borderline abusive relationships.

At the same time, can she just get to the romance?? I know it's only been a couple weeks in the book's time, but come on.

I also like where the plot of the whole series is going. She keeps up the mystery about where Simon and Derek's dad is, what the genetic mutations mean, how it's going to affect them, Chloe's Aunt Lauren, and more. I keep wondering about the strange loose ends she's kept untied: the necklace, the ghost/demon thing that spoke to Chloe in the hospital, Derek's true parents.

I wasn't really expecting the ending. I just thought there'd be more to the climax, but maybe that's just me. I was like waiting for the other shoe to drop, but then I realized, 'Oh, they really did get away. . .okay. . .'

Off for the next one! I'm eager to see how she ends this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment