Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Author Interview: Sara Jo Easton

Don't you love finding new authors? Sara Jo Easton published her fantasy novel, The Zarder, in October and is here to tell us about it and about herself.

If you like what you see, you can also visit her. . .

Her book, The Zarder, is available on most ebook retaliers.

Fill in the blanks: [My book above] is like [book/movie/TV show] meets [a different book/movie/TV show].
"The Zarder" by Sara Jo Easton is like "Dragonflight" by Anne McCaffrey meets Smaug from J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit".

What's the first sentence of this book?
At the beginning of time, the Great Lord of the Sky created the world.

You get to go to Disneyworld with one of your characters. Who do you choose and why?
I could see Lady Delsenni loving It's a Small World if she were shrunk down to human size. She's an empath, so she'd enjoy seeing all of the happy faces. The downside is that she would probably kick my butt at Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin.

Okay, now you get to travel to the country of your choice for one week with any fictional character of your choice (not your own). Who do you choose, where do you go, and why?
I would spend time with Eowyn from "Lord of the Rings", because she's my favorite fictional character of all time (I once got into a huge debate with someone who called her weak and whiny. It wasn't pretty).  We'd probably wind up in some nice part of the English countryside with plenty of gardens and a few horses. It would be a nice week with no pressure or time tables.

Do you remember the first story you ever finished? If so, tell us about it.
The first story I ever finished was a story about a pumpkin named Halloween who found a girlfriend and a house. I was four or five, and the illustrations were hilarious. Imagine, if you will, a pumpkin with a bow on its stem and long eyelashes.

How has your writing changed since you first started writing?
What I've had to edit has changed. Before, there was too little dialogue. Now, I sometimes have to make my characters shut up!

What's your favorite part about the writing process?
It has to be that joyous moment when you've revised a section a hundred times and realize it's finally to your standards. I could do a dance of joy sometimes.

Tell us about your last trunked story.
The last story that I put aside and buried was a tragic tale of an orphaned bobcat and the wolf pack that worked with him to survive the evil human hunters that threatened their forest. I didn't know that wolves sometimes eat bobcats. Also, the forest threatened by evil human hunters story is so overdone. It was fun to write in middle school, though.

Which book of yours was the hardest to write? Why?
The novel I'm currently editing, "The Speed of Wind", was the hardest to write because the villainess had more speaking time in the story. I find it difficult to write from her point of view because she is a bitter and potentially insane individual with a violent streak.

It's Saturday night. Where are you most likely to be?
Watching whatever movie looks interesting at the moment, whether it is at a movie theater or on TV. Later, I'd be reading a new book.

What do you want readers to come away with after reading your books?
I'd want my readers to feel that it's okay to talk about love without reducing it to merely Twilight-esque romance.

Thanks, Sara Jo! I enjoyed interviewing you!

No comments:

Post a Comment